The roof is an easily overlooked part of your home as it is so out of site. However, there is no other part of your home or business that can cause more damage than a bad roof. Mold, damaged to drywall, furniture, cabinetry, and flooring—not to mention personal items—are just some of the ways a bad roof can become a point of serious damage. Getting a roof inspection in Vancouver, WA before your roof causes costly water damage, is the best way to ensure the safety of the structure of your home or business.
A regular roof inspection is the best way to avoid a catastrophe. In the mean time, here are some commonly overlooked symptoms that suggest your roof has a problem.
- Missing shingles – This one is generally obvious and definitely requires repair.
- Cracked or curling shingles – Shingles should lay flat and be whole. If you see shingles that are missing sections, have cracks in them, or are curled and warped out of shape, you should schedule a roof repair.
- Mold and Mildew – If you see any sign of mold it should be immediately cleaned and a roof inspection should be done.
- Dents and dings – Metal roofs are the hardiest roofing material, so you shouldn’t have to check these as often. However, nothing is foolproof, so an inspection after a windstorm or hail storm, is a good idea. Look for missing sheets, dents, and dings in the metal. It is possible for the metal to get hit hard enough to create a hole. It is also possible for metal sheeting to blow off, if the wind is strong enough.
- Missing tiles – This is similar to shingles. Any that are missing leave an opening for weather and debris to get through to the roof’s underlayment. Missing tiles create a need for a roof inspection and roof repair.
- Damaged tiles – Again like shingles, roof tiles can crack and sections can break off. These need to be replaced.
- Debris – Debris is particularly harsh on tile roofs. They get caught in the curves and grooves of the tile and hold moisture on the roof. Debris also creates favorable conditions for mold and mildew to grow. Having your tile roof cleaned and inspected on a regular basis greatly improves the length of time the tile roof will last.
Getting regular gutter cleaning also goes a long way in helping the health of your roof. If water pools in the gutter or is not able to easily flow off the roof it can waterlog a section of your roof. If you have questions about roof repair or would like to schedule a roof inspection, contact us at Dr. Roof, Inc. in Vancouver, WA and the surrounding areas. Dr. Roof, Inc. can schedule your home or business for a roof inspection quickly, before any more damage can occur.